Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A New Hope (See What I Did There?)




This morning my kid sister said she fell asleep during the best part of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. Star Wars fans would, I wager, know she could only be talking about one of two scenes: the pod race or the Darth Maul vs. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan battle at the end. Okay, it could really only be the second one, else I really need to reevaluate Kirsti's ability to recognize quality.

I told Kirsti she could have saved time by only watching the two aforementioned scenes, sparing herself 90 minutes of terrible dialogue and acting (albeit missing some impressive visuals). Kirsti answered back, saying she and her husband wanted to watch the series as a whole, regardless of the bad acting and such.

Enter my other younger sister, Sarah, with a recommendation: don't watch it in the logical orders in which the films are presented: Release Order, where you go 4-5-6-1-2-3, or the Chronological Order of 1-2-3-4-5-6. Sarah then pointed us to the the following blog about how one can get the maximum enjoyment from watching Star Wars while avoiding the biggest pitfall, Episode I:

http://static.nomachetejuggling.com/machete_order.html

Now, I came up with my own way to change the prequels to make them better, outlined here: http://slammysworld.blogspot.com/2010/08/recasting-of-star-wars.html

I think it's good, but the Machete Order is a lot better. It's brilliant, because it's as simple as taking the movies as they are, just switching the order a tad. Seriously, read through the proposal and see if he isn't completely right. He offers a new hope for Star Wars fans still smarting from George Lucas' failure to make the prequels as awesome as the original trilogy.

What do you think of the Machete Order? Gonna give it a try? If you do/did, what do/did you think?

No comments: